The Department of General Surgery is geared to offer teaching programs for both undergraduates as well as postgraduate students. The department is notable for being one of the few centers in Kerala which routinely performs major laparoscopic surgeries and other major surgeries. The department is well equipped to handle emergency and elective surgical care.
- To provide timely and high quality surgical services to patients
- To impart rigorous training to students in various surgical skills and procedures so that they are competent in dealing with common surgical conditions.
The Department of General Surgery of SGMCÂ comprises of an excellent team of surgeons headed by Dr.R.Dayananda Babu.Â In addition, there are 4Â Professors, 5Â Associate Professor, 6Â Assistant Professors, 6Â Senior Residents and 12 Junior Residents.-more–
- State-of-the-Art Operation Theatre Complex
- Well-equipped Surgical Intensive Care Unit
- Demonstration rooms
- Departmental library
- Surgical skills laboratory
- Laparoscopy/ Minimal Access Surgery
- All general surgical procedures
- Keyhole surgery for Thyroid, Hernia and Abdominal disorders including Gall Bladder, Appendix and others
- Cancer Surgery and Surgical specialty clinics
- 24 hours Emergency surgery including Trauma
- Provision for all general surgical operative spectrum including stapler haemorrhoidectomy